Table of Contents
- First things first- What is a blog?
- Why start a blog?
- Should I start a blog in 2020?
- How to start a blog in 4 easy steps
- Step #1: Choose your blog name.
- Step #2: Set up your blog.
- Step #3: Customize your blog.
- Step #4: Write your first blog post and publish it.
- Conclusion- key tips for How to start a blog
- Did you Like the Article? PIN IT!
Starting a new blog can be overwhelming.
The first one we did a few years ago it was not the best one and it took us some time to understand a bit how it worked.
That’s why we have taken all the lessons learned and have created this easy step by step guide for how to start a blog in 2020.
It is easy to understand and it shouldn’t take you more than 10 minutes, so let’s go ahead and start that shinning new blog!
This page may content affiliate links. Click here to read our disclosure
First things first- What is a blog?
A blog is a type of website with posts (articles or entries) that focuses mainly on written content, also known as blog posts.
Bloggers often write from a personal perspective about a topic that allows them to connect directly with their readers.
Why start a blog?
There are many good reasons why you should start a blog:
- Make money while working remotely. This is our favorite one and the main reason we choose it so we could work anywhere while we keep traveling.
- To write about something you are passionate about. If you want to write about something you love, share your story, or simply to encourage others and build a community, a blog is a great place to do that.
- To connect with like-minded people. A blog is an interactive tool. You write a blog post and people can comment on it. This is a great way to connect with people who are interested in the same things as you are.
Should I start a blog in 2020?
The answer to that question is simple.
If you are willing to treat your blog as a business investing time, researching what to write about and creating amazing content, the answer is YES.
On the other hand, if you won’t have much time to dedicate to the blog, you won’t be writing long well-written articles and want to make money fast, the answer is NO.
The truth is that the competition is bigger and bigger every day, with millions of blog posts published every day.
That does not mean you cannot do it at all. You can and you will, as long as you prioritize quality over quantity when writing.
To be successful as a blogger there is really just one requirement: To be passionate about what you write.
If you that, it does not matter what niche you choose, you’ll have good chances to succeed.
How to start a blog in 4 easy steps
Step #1: Choose your blog name.
Ideally, your blog name should be related to the topic you want to cover in your blog.
A good blog name should be descriptive so that potential readers can instantly tell what your blog is about just from the name.
For example, if you are blogging about photography, you could use words like camera, or lenses in your blog name so people have an idea what is about.
Once you have some blog name ideas you will need to check if it is available and choose a domain extension. Although .com is the most common one, there some other options like .org or .net.
If you need some help, you can always use a blog name generator to give you some ideas.
Step #2: Set up your blog.
Now you have chosen a name for your blog it’s time for the fun part.
The next thing you are going to need is to select a blog hosting. This is where your files and content will be stored and what makes possible for your blog to go online.
You will also need a blogging platform, which is the software you will use to write your posts. But you don’t need to worry much about this one since all major hosting companies already give you the blogging platform within the package with a one-click install.
In this guide, we are going to show how to set up your blog using BlueHost and WordPress, which are the ones we use for our blog nomadsrtw.com. and the one we really recommend for these reasons:
- They offer free and simple installation of the WordPress blogging software.
- They have an outstanding 24/7 customer service via phone or web chat.
- They have a money-back guarantee in case you don’t like it so you won’t lose your money.
- They have a very fast load time. This is one of the main advantages over the rest.
We have been using Bluehost for a couple of years now and we are very happy with how it works.
If you want to sign up with them also, click this link to Bluehost and you can get started for only $3.95 a month!
Click this link, and then click the green button “Get Started”
Select a plan.
For new bloggers, the “basic plan” should be enough. Although for a very small difference in price, I would select the choice plus option which includes domain privacy between many other benefits.
Set up your domain.
Type your domain name in the left box and click next.
If you already have a domain use the box on the right instead with the domain you own.
Fill out your account details.
Chose a hosting package and extras.
In the account plan tab, you are given 3 options and all already include all you need.
If you have the budget, select the longest one possible since you’ll be saving good money.
As per the packages extras, I will uncheck all the boxes since you don’t really need them.
Fill the payment info and click submit.
Create a password
Once you set up your password, you can choose a basic design template for your blog.
You can easily change this later at any time.
Now your blogging platform WordPress will be installed. Once the install is complete click “Start Building” to be logged in to your blog.
Step #3: Customize your blog.
Now is time to customize your blog using WordPress.
Log in to your Bluehost account.
Log in to WordPress.
Once you are inside your Bluehost account, click in log-in to WordPress.
Go to Appearance.
From the appearance tab on the left, you can customize the aspect of your blog.
Here you will be able to see some free themes you can start using.
Alternatively, you could also select “Add new theme” option which you can also find on this tab. That will allow you to choose between hundreds of free themes.
Activate your theme.
Lastly, once you have decided which theme you want to use, simply hover over and you’ll see the option “Activate”. Just like that, the whole aspect of your blog should have changed.
Step #4: Write your first blog post and publish it.
Now your blog is ready, let’s create that first post. This is actually super simple.
You’ll see there is a default post. You are not going to need, so click trash to get rid of it.
Now click on “Add New”
All you need to do is clicking the Add New button at the top
Now all you need to do is start writing.
The WordPress editor will allow you to create a post with text, images, links, etc. All the options would be in the toolbar at the top of the post.
Lastly, to make your post to go live, all you need to do is to click the “publish” button which you can find at the top right of your post. It should look something like this:
And as simple as that, you have your blog ready and your first blog post published! ?
Conclusion- key tips for How to start a blog
Starting a blog is not hard, but making money with a blog takes time and work.
Some of the key things you should do to make it work are:
- Be consistent in creating content. Try creating at least one post per week.
- Create with quality over quantity. Is way better one in-depth post with +3000 words than 5 posts with 500 words each.
- Pay attention to details. What we mean with this is to use fonts easy to read and quality images in your blog posts.
- Be patient. Blogging is a long term game. But if you create good content consistently, you should see improvements little by little.