Table of Contents
- What is the best backpacker travel insurance?
- Why you should always have backpacker travel insurance?
- What should backpacker travel insurance cover?
- World Nomads travel insurance- Why buying?
- World Nomads travel insurance company- Get a quote
- How to make a claim on your backpacker insurance policy
- What is not covered in your backpacker travel insurance
- Alternative travel insurance companies
- Did you Like the Article? PIN IT!
In this post we are going to show you the importance of choosing the right backpacker travel insurance, and sharing a few experiences where we’ve had to rely on our travel insurance with World Nomads.
We have had to claim our travel insurance a couple of times in our travels. We have suffered from lost connections to broken equipment, robberies, and some other issues.
And believe us, having good travel insurance can make all the difference. Not only can provide you peace of mind, but it can also prevent you from massive financial trouble in case you need to be evacuated for example.
The best backpacker travel insurance does not need to be expensive. It does need to cover a lot of things which we are going to explain to you in this post.
So keep reading and find out why you should always travel with insurance and some other useful tips.
This page may content affiliate links. Click here to read our disclosure
The easy answer is that you never know what can happen to you when traveling.
We are now writing a couple of post with a few times we needed to use our backpacker travel insurance:
- One due to weather conditions interrupted our trip in the Philippines and World Nomads covered our expenses
- The other one was a massive medical bill in Hong Kong when we went to the hospital due to terrible abdominal pain.
It could be anything. Passport lost or stolen, missed connections, flights delay, medical evacuation, etc. There are many factors we cannot control but that can easily ruin our holidays (and pockets) so having good travel insurance can make like way easier.
On any good backpacker travel insurance policy, the things in the list below should be covered:
- Medical repatriation: flight changes, air ambulance, helicopter evac.
- Travel accidents: medications, hospitalization, surgery, etc.
- Baggage: Delayed, stolen, lost, damaged.
- Trip cancellation
- Health emergencies
- Death overseas
- Stolen passport
- 24/7 emergency assistance
Some of the reasons why you should buy World Nomads travel insurance are:
7 things you should know about travel insurance from WorldNomads.com
- Trusted reliable underwriters
WorldNomads.com is backed by a suite of strong, secure, specialist travel insurers who provide you with great cover, 24 hour emergency assistance and the highest levels of support and claims management when you need it most.
- Value for money with the cover you need
WorldNomads.com provides cover for what’s important for travellers from over 130 countries. By focusing on what you need and leaving out what you don’t, World Nomads prices are some of the most competitive online.
- Flexibility when you need it most
Had a change of plans? You can buy more cover or claim online while you are still away. You can even buy a World Nomads policy if you’re already travelling.
- Cover for a range of adventure activities
From skiing & snowboarding in New Zealand to whitewater rafting in Colorado, WorldNomads.com covers a range of adventure activities, giving you peace of mind to get the most from your travels.
- World Nomads keeps you travelling safely
All WorldNomads.com members have access to up-to-date travel safety alerts, as well as travel safety advice and tips online through the World Nomads Travel Safety Hub.
- More than just great value travel insurance
All WorldNomads.com members can learn the local lingo through a series of iPod & iPhone Language Guides and can stay in touch with family and friends with an online travel journal.
- Commitment to exceptional customer service
We want to make sure you get the most from WorldNomads.com. You can find out more about why travel insurance is important for your trip. If you have any questions about your travel insurance or travel safety in general, please contact WorldNomads.com directly.
We highly recommend going with the travel insurance provider World Nomads.
We have been using them for a while now and their amazing coverage, price, and exquisite customer service makes them our favorite travel insurance provider.
This is the company we use for our trips and the best backpacker travel insurance we have tried.
You can get a quick quote here:
If you’re already a World Nomads member, you’ll just need to sign in, follow the claims path and attach your supporting documents.
If you’re not a member, you can either create an account which lets you lodge most claims electronically or you can get in touch with their customer service teams, who’ll send out a paper form for you to complete.
Be prepared when you claim:
- Injury or illness? Call their assistance teams asap
- Scan your receipts before you leave, just in case.
- If an airline loses your gear, tell them straight away, fill in their paperwork and keep a copy.
- Theft? Report it to the police within 24 hours.
- See what refunds you can get first from your transport or accommodation providers.
- Any expenses that relate to a pre-existing medical condition
- General check-ups, vaccinations and other preventative treatment
- Any costs once you are returned to your country of permanent residence.
- The policy excess, deductible or co-pay amount as shown in the policy wording.
- If you refuse to be repatriated or evacuated.Any on-going medical expenses once you return to your home country.
- If you simply change your mind when taking a flight.
- You don’t allow enough time to get to the airport and check-in as required by the carrier. For example, not factoring in extra time for heavy traffic in peak hour.
- You were aware, at the time of booking or buying the tickets and your travel insurance, of circumstances that might cause a travel delay or missed connection.
- Simple theft, where you do not observe the theft occurring is NOT covered by this policy eg taken from your bag where it is supervised by you but you did not see the theft occurring and pickpocketing etc.
- Damage to, loss or theft of jewelry, computers, cameras, hand-held, and mobile devices or other electronic equipment and any high value specified items if checked in with a common carrier in your baggage.
- Theft of computers, cameras, hand-held, and mobile devices or other electronic equipment and any high value specified items from a boat or motor vehicle.
- For activities, sports & adventures check here.
To see a list with all the things which are not covered visit this page.
Some other good companies with great travel insurance policies and coverage are:
- Safety Wing. Easy to use and affordable, it offers basic medical insurance for traveling.
- Allianz Travel Insurance. If you are looking for long coverage for a long trip, Allianz might be an option which worth checking
- InsureMyTrip. They work with top insurance companies and the plans they offer are Accidental Death, Schengen Visa Insurance, Evacuation, Medical, and Comprehensive.
You might not need it, and we hope you don’t. But travel insurance is probably the best investment you can do.
A lost connection, a stolen bag or passport, an injury, etc. Is not that hard for any of those things to happen on any trip. That is why you should always travel with a good backpacker travel insurance.
It is no money for the help it can provide and it can save you lots of headache (and money eventually)
So before you are leaving to your next destination, don’t forget to get a quote and buy yours.