Table of Contents
- What do I need to make a travel video?
- Recommended gear to make a travel video
- Tools you need to edit a travel video
- Kinds of travel videos
- How to make a travel video for beginners
- Tips for how to make a travel video worth watching
- #1. Invest some time in “formation”
- #2. Look for inspiration
- #3. Research where you want to shoot ahead.
- #4. Come up with a story
- #5. Set up the right settings.
- #6. Shoot as much as you can
- #7. Get closer to your subject
- #8. Use timelapses/ hyperlapses
- #9. Editing your video
- #10. Exporting your video
- Bonus Tip- Get a drone!
- Did you Like the Article? PIN IT!
Since my very first trips, I have always wondered how to make a travel video that worth watching.
Videos are way more powerful than pictures. And I love having vivid memories from my trips, so I wanted to be good at creating my travel videos.
The problem was, that I never had any kind of experience or knowledge about filmmaking or video editing. So where to start?
Most of what I have learned has been through trial and error and watching a ridiculous amount of tutorials. But as of today, I am proud of being able to produce visual travel videos with my experiences. It does not only allow me to enjoy my trips again back at home but sometimes I have even been able to make money out of them.
So if you want to learn how to make a travel video step by step, keep reading
This page may content affiliate links. Click here to read our disclosure
There are only 2 things you need to make a travel video:
- A camera. What you will use to produce the video. It could be your phone, a GoPro, a DSLR camera, a drone, etc.
- Editing Software. This would be the tool you’ll use to edit the video. It could be OpenShot, iMovie, Final Cut, Premiere Pro, etc.
That should be enough to start with. But with the time and as you get better at it, you will end up using more gear like gimbals, tripods, and different editing tools.
There are different ways you can create a travel video and so there are different tools you could use.
In this list, I have included only the most practical items I use to make our travel videos:
- Huawei Pro 30 mobile. Having a phone with a great quality of image and video is a must these days. The reason we chose this phone over any other, is the battery lifetime, and pictures and video quality. We are big users of Instagram and this phone has been life-changing for our quick Instagram shots and stories, and for the clips, we use in our travel videos.
- Fujifilm X-T3. This is my day to day camera for photography and video and could not be happier. It is fast, reliable, and relatively small and easy to travel with. If you want to see the results visit our Youtube channel.
- GoPro Max. If you intend to shot action or underwater footage, this is a must. Also, 360 videos are now taking off and it is very good fun. We use it mainly when we dive or to capture action closely.
- DJI Mavic Pro 2. One of the best things I have ever bought is this drone. It really makes a difference for more cinematic footage and to see things you could not even see otherwise. This drone has also allowed me to make some money with my travel videos by making promo videos to some hotels.
- Zhiyun Crane Plus Gimbal. It wasn’t until I bought this gimbal when I saw a big improvement in my videos. Thanks to this gimbal, you will reduce your shacking dramatically without the need of using any external software. If you are serious about making travel videos, I’d honestly recommend you this tool.
- Capture Clip. This is the most practical thing ever invented for those of you who use mirrorless cameras or DSLR. Since I discovered this tool, I take my camera with me all the time even for trekking, since this makes it painless to carry.
Probably, your main tool is going to be a camera. So I recommend you to check this updated post with the best mirrorless cameras for travel.
Lastly, you are going to need a specific camera bag to have easy access to your gear while keeping it organized. After many bags, my recommendation is the Everyday Backpack of Peak Design. But if you have doubts, you can read about the best travel backpacks and find the best for you.